The holiday season is a time of celebration, not catastrophe. Don't let a fire ruin your festivities!
Fire departments respond to an average of 200 home fires each year that start with Christmas trees and 40% start with electrical distribution equipment! Use these tips to avoid potential fire risks:
1. Make sure all decorative lights are set-up and functioning properly. Remember to unplug and turn off your lights when you are away from home. 26% of Christmas tree fires stem from a heat source.
2. Keep your tree away from a fireplace or candles. Pick a clear place in your home to set-up the tree. 24% of Christmas tree fires stem from intentional ignition.
3. Dispose of your Christmas tree properly and safely. Note, they are extremely flammable when dry. Fires due to cooking peak on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Christmas Eve.
4. Make sure you do not leave cooking food unattended. Always turn off the oven or gas/electric burners when you are away from home or sleeping. Christmas, Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Day are the top 3 days of the year for candle fires and caused an estimated 8.9 million in property damage each year.
5. Never leave a candle burning when you are away or asleep. Do not place candles close to anything flammable, like, papers, clothes or your Christmas tree.
6. As a precaution, have a fire safety and escape plan in place.
As always, call your River Oaks Insurance Agent with any questions on your policy and how it protects you in the event of a fire. We are here to help!